One of the coolest things about the Superhero theme party is that it is a theme that can be adapted for any age group, even adults. Superhero fans come in all ages and genders, so if your birthday girl/guy is one of them, the Superhero birthday party (or whatever the occasion is) will be an unforgettable blast. This guide will give you many great superhero party ideas that you can use to throw the best superhero party ever.
CHOOSING YOUR SUPERHERO PARTY THEME
First, we’ll start off with a list of today’s most popular superheroes to inspire you in planning your Superhero theme party.
TEN MOST POPULAR SUPERHEROES FOR CHILDREN:
- Captain America
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man
- Teen Titans
TEN MOST POPULAR SUPERHEROES FOR TWEENS AND TEENS:
- Iron Man
- Captain America
- Black Widow
TEN MOST POPULAR SUPERHEROES FOR ADULTS
- Iron Man
- The Flash
- Green Arrow
- Green Lantern
- Wonder Woman
TEN MOST POPULAR FEMALE SUPERHEROES
- Wonder Woman
- Black Widow
- Ms. Marvel
This list is by no means comprehensive. There are literally hundreds of superheroes, as the true comic book fan can attest, so don’t feel as if you have to choose from just the ones mentioned. Pick the guest of honor’s favorite superhero and build your party around him/her.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS FOCUSING ON GROUPS
Alternately, you don’t have to necessarily pick a single superhero. Some other super hero party ideas that focus on groups of superheroes include:
MARVEL SUPERHEROES PARTY:
Choose some of the most popular superheroes from the Marvel Comics empire. The most popular ones include Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Iron Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Daredevil, Ms Marvel and Spiderwoman. Build your entire party around the Marvel universe. Shazam!
DC SUPERHEROES PARTY:
Marvel’s rival, DC Comics, has also produced some very famous and popular superheroes over the years. The most popular include Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Supergirl, Batgirl, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash. Design your whole party around a DC theme.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS WITH SUPER VILLAINS:
This idea works especially well with older teens and adults. Everyone has a dark side, and a Super Villain party explores that dark side in a way that’s fun and lighthearted. Popular Super Villains include The Joker, Penguin, Lex Luthor, Magneto, Loki, Dr. Doom, Venom, Galactus, Ozymandias, The Red Skull, Dr. Octopus and the Green Goblin.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS USING X-MEN:
This group of mutants-turned-superheroes includes Professor X, Wolverine, Cyclops, Mimic, Polaris, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Magneto and numerous others.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS USING THE FANTASTIC FOUR:
This group is made up of Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, the Human Torch and Thing.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS USING THE AVENGERS:
This group of five is made up of Ant-Man, Wasp, Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk.
SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS USING GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY:
This team of galactic heroes which have been depicted in contemporary box-office hit movies, includes Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket and Groot.
GIRL SUPERHERO PARTY:
Celebrate girl power and have a superhero girl party centering around favorite female superheroes.
THE ELEMENTS OF A SUCCESSFUL SUPERHERO BIRTHDAY PARTY
SUPERHERO PARTY INVITATIONS
No matter what your theme or the age and genders of your guests, every memorable party begins not at the front door, but long before the guests even arrive…the party invitations.
The design of your invitation should reflect the theme of the party. So, if you’re throwing a Spiderman party for a group of five-year olds, your invitations may include a picture of Spiderman or perhaps simply be a cutout of the spider from Spiderman’s costume. A Wonder Woman party invitation might be in the form of a decorated cutout of her tiara.
We couldn’t possibly list every single invitation design here, because the list would never end. However, the ones we do share will hopefully inspire you as you design your own superhero party invitations:
Fashion your invitations after your chosen superhero’s crest (i.e. Batman’s yellow oval with bat, Superman’s diamond-shaped yellow and red crest, The Flash’s circular crest with lightning bolt, etc.).
Design your invite to look like the cover of The Daily Planet or a telephone booth.
Put all your party info on a cutout of a black bat or Batman/Batgirl’s cape or Batman/Batgirl himself/herself. Or, simply create rectangular invites with black and yellow accents for Batman or purple and yellow accents for Batgirl.
Captain America party:
Design and create a cutout of Captain America’s shield.
Dr. Who party:
Create a cutout of the phone booth/time travel machine.
These are just a handful of creative examples. Not particularly crafty? Don’t worry: there are tons of printable superhero party invitations on the Web that are free to download and use. Just type the name of the superhero followed by “party invitations” in your web browser’s search bar.
Free printable Superhero do-it-yourself party invitations are available at great-kids-birthday-parties.com.
You can also order Superhero party invitations pre-made and ready for personalization at sites like:
Smilebox.com/ (requires free software download)
SUPERHERO PARTY INVITATION EXAMPLES
Here are a few superhero party invitation examples:
SUPERHERO PARTY DECORATIONS
Your Superhero birthday party needs fab decorations, and you don’t even have to spend a bundle of money to throw a successful one. These are just a handful of ideas that you can use, adapt or gain inspiration from:
- Think primary colors for your decorations. Most superheroes tend to wear costumes in primary colors.
- For accents, you can have lots of fun with patterns like stripes and dots, which evoke a comic book-like feel.
- Focus on colors that match your particular Superhero. For example, if you’re throwing a Green Lantern party, choose streamers, balloons, cutlery, paper plates, table covers and other general decorations in green, black and white (with green being the predominant color and black and white being accent colors).
- Create a “Happy Birthday” banner* (or “Graduation” or whatever the occasion happens to be) in your chosen hero’s colors.
- Make table covers or backdrops out of old comic book covers/pages.
- Create a cityscape backdrop for your main food table, which would go perfectly with a number of different Superhero themes, including Superman, Supergirl, Batman, Batgirl and Spiderman.
- An outer-space backdrop would go well with Thor, Flash Gordon, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, etc.
Create Superhero place cards and goodie bags for guests**.
**The following websites offer some super-cool, creative banner-making design ideas and instructions:
**And this website offers ideas and instructions for making your own Superhero goody bags:
Here are some sites that offer general Superhero printables and ideas. (Note: some may require you to download software.)
Below are a few examples of superhero party decorations:
SUPERHERO PARTY GAMES AND ACTIVITIES
Every party, no matter how young or old the guest of honor, needs to be packed with fun activities.
- Adapt common party games and give them a superhero twist. For example, you can play a game of bean bag toss, but call it “Kryptonite Toss” and pretend that the bean bags are made of Kryptonite and must be disposed of so they don’t zap Superman’s powers. Here’s another idea: instead of Pin the Tail on the Donkey, play “Pin the Shield on Captain America” or “Pin the Hammer on Thor.”
- Holy Treasure Hunt, Batman! For older children, organize a superhero treasure or scavenger hunt. One variation is to cut up a picture of your superhero into a puzzle. Split guests into teams and see who can find all of their team’s puzzle pieces and put together the whole puzzle first. Another variation: create a “mission” that your Superhero must complete to save the day. Then make up a series of clues (one clue leading to the location of the next clue) to go along with the story of the “mission.” At the end of the hunt, leave prizes for all of the guests.
- Here’s another cool variation: http://www.queen-of-theme-party-games.com/superhero-treasure-hunt-game.html)
- Superhero Trivia: Make up a series of questions about your superhero (or group of superheroes). Whoever gets the most correct answers wins the game and gets a prize.
- Not all of your activities have to be games. If your birthday boy or girl likes crafts (this works particularly well for younger children), have your guests do a superhero craft, like making Wonder Woman’s tiara or a Ninja Turtles mask.
- Print out comic book page templates (like this one: http://picklebums.com/free-printable-comic-book-templates/) which feature empty panels and bubbles, then let guests make up their own comic book story. It can be about the superhero featured at your party, or a superhero that they make up themselves. They can even draw themselves as a superhero with whatever powers they want and make a story to go with it.
- Superhero Charades: Cut up slips of paper and put the name of a superhero on each one. Divide guests into teams and then have team members take turns trying to get their team members to guess the superhero on their paper by acting and not using any words or sounds. (This game is a blast for kids and teens alike.)
Here are some places where you can find more Superhero games and activities online:
SUPERHERO PARTY FOOD
No party is complete without food, whether it’s an entire meal or desserts and goodies (or both). Here are some tips for planning your Superhero theme party menu:
- Does your particular Superhero have a favorite food? If so, that’s what you’ll want to serve at your party. For example, if you are hosting a Ninja Turtles party, you’ll naturally want to serve pizza, dude! (In case you didn’t know: Thor loves Creamsicles, Wolverine never gets tired of eating burgers, Batman is a nachos fan, and Chimichangas are a MUST for a Deadpool party. Spiderman is crazy for wheat cakes, but we must admit that wheat cakes might be a tough sell for a birthday party!)
- Even if your food isn’t necessarily associated with a particular superhero, you can serve it in a way that will elicit an association with your superhero. For example, serve fruit kebabs that are made with strawberries, blueberries and banana chunks and call them Supergirl Fruit Salad. Another fantastic idea is to create cones out of comic book pages (or photocopies of comic book pages) and fill them with candies or chips for each guest. Ropes of licorice can be Wonder Woman Lassoes. Serve black and yellow foods at a Batman/Batgirl party. Green koolaid or juice can be “Hulk Juice.” Dip rice krispies squares into melted colored melting wafers and then embellish with your superhero’s emblem (i.e. red-dipped squares with a yellow icing lightning bolt for The Flash).
- If you are a skilled cake decorator and plan to make your own cake for the party, decorate it with your superhero’s emblem. If you want to make your own cake but you aren’t comfortable with your art skills, make superhero printouts and laminate them. Place them atop your iced cake, or cut them out and affix them to skewers or popsicle sticks and place them on your cake.
- Most bakeries that sell decorated cakes will be able to create some kind of a superhero cake design for you or make a photo-cake with your superhero’s picture on it.
- You can find edible superhero embellishments for cakes and cookies and other baked goods at many craft stores (such as Michael’s), party supplies stores or online. They require no art skills whatsoever. All you have to do is afix them to your cake or baked goods with icing (either homemade or store bought).
Below are a few examples of superhero party food:
A FEW GENERAL SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS AND PLANNING TIPS
- Some party supplies stores (both on and offline) have “Superhero Party Kits” available. These kits come with a variety of ready-made superhero themed party supplies. They may contain things like invitations, goody bags, decorations and embellishments, depending on the size of the kit. They tend to range from $25 for basic kits up to $100 dollars for larger, more comprehensive kits. If you don’t consider yourself crafty or don’t have the time to create your party from scratch, Superhero Party Kits save time and energy and make party-hosting simple.
- You don’t have to spend a ton of money to have a totally rad Superhero party. All you really need are basic supplies like streamers and balloons and maybe disposable plates, cups and cutlery in your Superhero’s colors. Just use your Spidey-sense and creativity in putting them together, and you can get away with spending less than $25 for your party decor.
- Pinterest, Google Images and Etsy can be great sources of inspiration for all kinds of different aspects of throwing a Superhero Birthday Party, Superhero Girl Party or general Superhero theme party.
We hope these SUPERHERO PARTY IDEAS have helped you in planning your next superhero party. If you have any questions about our superhero party ideas or have superhero party ideas that you would like to share with us, please contact us.